Passenger vans are an inexpensive and convenient means of transportation for business groups, sports teams, church groups, and more. These 15-passenger vans market their vehicles for these uses, but many are frequently involved in serious rollover accidents. The Heslin Law Firm's passenger van accident lawyer represents seriously injured victims and the families involved in the city of Philadelphia and the state of Pennsylvania.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, passenger vans that are at or above capacity are prone to rollover accidents. These vans are not required to be manufactured to the same federal motor vehicle safety standards as traditional yellow school buses. Because of this, these vehicles may not provide adequate protection in a collision compared to that of a yellow school bus.
Common Causes of Passenger Van Accidents
Common causes of accidents involving passenger vans include the following:
- Overloaded vehicle
- Driver lacks commercial driver’s license
- Meant for cargo, rather than passengers
- Inadequate handling
- High center of gravity
- Sharp turns
Rollover Accident Statistics
Rollover accidents involving passenger vans are more common than many people believe Consider these rollover accident statistics:
- The NHTSA states that a fully loaded van has a risk of rollover six times greater than one with five of fewer passengers.
- 31 percent of fatal rollovers involving 15-passenger vans occur during the busy summer travel months.
- The NHTSA has found June through August to be the deadliest time of year for 15-passenger van occupants, due to rollover crashes.
- Overall statistics show the number of deaths in 15-passenger van rollover crashes has been declining steadily since 2001.
- Passenger vans still pose a safety risk to occupants, claiming the lives of 58 people in accidents in 2006.
- About 50 percent of the fatalities occurred in heavily loaded vans that rolled over.
Contact Our Philadelphia Law Firm to Discuss Your Right to Compensation
If you were seriously injured in a passenger van accident in Philadelphia or the state of Pennsylvania and want to know if you have a legal case and what your accident case may be worth, call The Heslin Law Firm to speak with Gary Heslin. We offer free consultations for our clients who wish to be compensated for their injuries and seek justice for loved ones.
Call 215-332-0300 for a free consultation, or contact us on the web regarding your passenger van accident case. We operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
Our law firm is conveniently located in Northeast Philadelphia. Whether you live in Philadelphia, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Upper Darby, or Montgomery County, our accident lawyer will represent you and your case.