The negligence of an intoxicated driver who decides to get behind the wheel can upend your whole life. An accident caused by drunk driving may result in long-term effects from serious injuries, an inability to maintain employment while recovering, and of course major damage to your vehicle. It’s important to take several specific steps in the aftermath of a crash to protect your legal rights.
What to Do After an Accident With a Drunk Driver
In severe accidents, you may need to be taken to the emergency room immediately. In that case, your focus should solely be on your health before other concerns. If you are able to remain at the scene, however, be sure to:
- Avoid engaging with the driver, as an intoxicated person in a high-stress setting can behave unpredictably or violently.
- Call the police.
- Document the accident with photographs, including damage to the vehicles.
- Gather eyewitness info so bystanders who saw the accident can be contacted later if necessary.
- Visit a doctor as soon as possible after the accident to document your injuries. This step is critical, even if you don’t immediately feel hurt, to ensure you receive the full compensation you are legally owed.
- Utilize the services of an experienced Pennsylvania accident attorney.
The Importance of an Attorney in a Drunk Driving Case
While the facts of the case may seem cut and dried if the other driver was intoxicated, it is always better for an attorney to handle communication with insurance adjusters after an accident. Be sure to discuss any insurance settlement offer with an attorney before accepting to determine if it is actually the full and fair amount you deserve. The initial settlement may not take into account all of your costs, from medical bills to losing out on wages and intangible effects like pain and suffering.
In some situations, you may need to take the drunk driver to court to seek damages. An attorney can perform a full investigation and utilize a variety of expert witnesses to prove the driver’s negligence caused your injury.
Consult Our Legal Team Right Away
Were you or a loved one recently hurt in a drunk driving crash? Tell us about your accident and set up a consultation so we can determine how best to help you during your recovery.