Picture this: You’re driving home after a long day of work and suddenly, the driver in front of you starts to go into the wrong lane, run through red lights or drive off of the road. You come to the conclusion that the motorist is probably driving under the influence of alcohol. What should you do in this terrifying situation? Here are a few tips from our Bucks County drunk driving accident lawyer:
- First and foremost, stay as far away from the vehicle as possible to protect yourself from being hit by the driver.
- Make sure you and all of your passengers are wearing seat belts. You never know what a drunk driver might do, so it’s essential to be ready for an accident.
- If the driver is in front of you, avoid trying to pass the vehicle. Passing is dangerous because the driver may end up swerving into the other lane while you’re doing so. If the driver is behind you, pull over and let him/her pass.
- If you can see the car’s license plate number, take notice of it or have a passenger write it down. You should also make a mental note of the car’s color, make and model. However, if you’re too far away to collect this information, don’t endanger yourself by getting closer.
- If you haven’t pulled over already, do so now and call the police. Describe any details you were able to collect about the vehicle and its driver. In addition, alert them of where exactly the car was spotted, how fast it was going and what direction it was headed in, citing road names and intersections if possible.
- Now that you’ve done your civic duty of reporting the erratic driver to the authorities, take a route that won’t require you to go in the same direction as the dangerous driver. If you are unfamiliar with the area, consult a GPS for alternate routes. Doing so will allow you to avoid crossing paths with the driver once again.
Encountering a drunk driver on the road can be extremely scary. Still, it’s important to stay calm and follow these logical steps to reduce your risk of a crash.
Injured by a Drunk Driver? Seek Justice Today!
Unfortunately, you may not always see signs that a driver is drunk soon enough to get out of harm’s way. In the event that you are hit by an intoxicated motorist, the Heslin Law Firm can help you hold the driver accountable for his/her negligence. When you come to our drunk driving accident lawyer in Bucks County, we’ll listen carefully to your story and then help you decide on the best way to proceed with your case.
Ready for a free consultation with the drunk driving attorney Bucks County residents have trusted for more than 30 years? Call the Heslin Law Firm at (215) 332-0300. And if you ride your bike during the winter, be sure to check out our winter bike riding safety tips. We look forward to helping you recover the losses you are owed if you are injured by a negligent driver.