Like any large city, Philadelphia has seen changing traffic patterns over time. Unfortunately, even with increased safety features in newer vehicles, not all those changes are positive. Both accidents and deaths have sadly increased in recent years.
Common Causes of Traffic Injuries and Deaths in Pennsylvania
You may think of traffic fatalities as typically involving high-speed wrecks on the freeway. That’s not always the case, however. In fact, a study by the AAA Foundation For Traffic Safety found that vehicle accident deaths have seen a sharp increase on regular urban streets across the country.
Philadelphia is sadly no exception to this change. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, there were a staggering 1,230 traffic-related deaths statewide in 2021. From fender benders with minor injuries all the way up to multi-vehicle collisions with fatalities, the most common accident types that year across the state were:
- Colliding with a non-moving vehicle or object
- Hitting another car at an angle while both vehicles are moving (such as when merging or running a red light)
- Rear-end collisions
What to Do After a Philadelphia Car Accident
Because of the increasing number of collisions, you are statistically likely to experience a crash at some point in your life, even if you are a particularly safe driver. That’s why you need to know what actions to take after a wreck ahead of time to protect yourself legally and financially. Following any vehicle collision, you should:
- Avoid interacting with the at-fault driver, especially if they are aggressive or engaged in road rage.
- Call the police to investigate the crash.
- Gather details you will need later when pursuing compensation, such as taking photos of the vehicles and asking witnesses for their contact information.
- See a doctor as soon as you leave the crash scene to establish clear paperwork on your injury.
- Visit a qualified Philadelphia car accident attorney who can investigate the crash, negotiate with insurance adjusters for the full amount you deserve, and file a personal injury lawsuit against the liable party.
Speak With an Experienced Car Crash Injury Lawyer
Were you or someone you love a victim of a negligent driver in a Philadelphia crash? Contact the Heslin Law Firm to discuss your case and find out how to pursue the compensation you deserve. We want to hear from you at 215-332-0300 or through our online contact form here.