There is an unfortunate fact every car crash survivor comes to realize: your bills don’t stop coming just because you’ve been injured. The mortgage still needs to be paid even if you can’t return to work just yet. Have you been staying up nights worrying how to keep your head above water financially? Sleep easier by talking to an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you protect your legal right to compensation after an accident, including recovering lost wages.
Calculating Lost Income in a Car Crash Personal Injury Case
When you are hurt due to another driver’s negligence, that person becomes liable for your damages. You would have earned your normal wages if you hadn’t been injured, which is why missed income must be considered in any compensation. That could come from the at-fault driver’s insurance, your insurance company, or through a personal injury lawsuit.
Compensation for lost income in vehicle collision cases is available whether you are an hourly employee, salaried manager, or even a business owner. It’s important to note that income isn’t necessarily just the amount that would have been on your paycheck.
Lost Income Can Include
- Benefits you would have had available if you weren’t injured
- Bonuses lost during your accident recovery time
- Hourly wages for the specific days and times away from work
- Lost earning capacity in cases where you are unable to work after the accident, or if a physical disability from the crash forces you to take a lower-paying job
- Missed raises you would have been scheduled to receive
- Salaried pay divided by the number of work days missed
- Self-employment income if you own your own small business or work from home as a freelancer
To recover those damages, you need an attorney’s help gathering all the necessary evidence. Employment documents, medical records, witness statements, expert testimony, tax details, police reports, and other evidence may all be needed. With that information, your lawyer is in a better position to negotiate the full amount you deserve from insurance or for arguing your case in front of a jury.
Let The Heslin Law Firm Fight for Your Lost Income After an Accident
If you couldn’t return to work after a car crash, you deserve to be compensated for your losses. You shouldn’t be struggling financially because someone else behaved negligently behind the wheel. Schedule a consultation online here or call the Heslin Law Firm directly at 215-332-0300 to find out more.