While it may sound like a minor incident, slip and fall accidents are no laughing matter. They frequently cause severe and sometimes life-threatening injuries that require extensive and prolonged medical treatment. This can be very costly. When it comes to premise liability, slip and falls are among the most common personal injury claims. Some accidents may generally affect a certain demographic, but slip and falls can affect anyone and occur in an interior and exterior setting.
We Are Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyers
Bringing forth a slip and fall lawsuit won’t take away the physical and emotional pain you have already experienced, but it can help tremendously with your medical expenses. A lawsuit can also hold the negligent party responsible, ensuring this sort of thing doesn’t happen to someone else. To be eligible for financial compensation, your slip and fall accident needs to be due to negligence or carelessness of a property owner. For instance, the property owner has a responsibility to keep his premises under safe conditions. But if he fails to do so, and assuming he had knowledge of the situation and did nothing about it, he will likely be liable. However, proving this can be somewhat difficult.
For a property owner to be held legally responsible for injuries you have suffered due to a slip and fall on his premises, he must have:
- Caused the slippery or dangerous condition on the walking surface
- Known about the dangerous condition and did nothing about it
- Ignored performing maintenance that a “reasonable” person would have done to prevent such accidents
So What Is a Slip and Fall?
A slip and fall, or sometimes known as a slip, trip, and fall, involves a fall at either ground level by unsafe conditions or a fall from above. These accidents can affect anyone and can be especially traumatic, not to mention embarrassing, and just downright annoying. Slip and fall lawyer, Gary Heslin has experience with clients who have been involved in one at the following places:
- Shopping malls
- Supermarkets, grocery stores
- Parking lots
- Apartment complexes
Slip and Fall Injuries
According to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), falls account for over eight million emergency hospital visits, which is the leading cause of visits. Slip and falls account for over a million visits.
Falls are especially dangerous for older people. The following statistics show the slip and fall crisis involving the elderly:
- Every year, one out of three persons 65 or older will be involved in a fall. Half become repeat fallers.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported in 2005 that more than 150,000 people over the age of 65 died as a result of a fall, which is up more than 7500 a decade earlier.
- Sixty percent of slip and falls that cause death involve people ages 75 and older.
- Half of elderly adults who are hospitalized for fractures cannot return home or live independently.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can lead to severe injuries depending on the incident. Some can, unfortunately, lead to death. The following are common injuries someone may endure after being involved in a slip and fall:
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken hip
- Torn ligaments
If you have been injured in a slip and fall in Philadelphia, you may have a strong legal case against the negligent property owner. It may be in your best interest to speak to an experienced Northeast Philadelphia slip and fall lawyer. Contact us for a free legal consultation. Keep in mind, you have a limited time to report your claim, so contact our personal injury firm as soon as possible to discuss your case!