When you are injured in a fall caused by negligence, you have the right to seek compensation as part of your recovery. That financial recovery can be jeopardized if you don't act quickly at the scene and make the right decisions after the accident, however.
Top Mistakes Victims Make After a Pennsylvania Slip and Fall
Either through insurance or a lawsuit, you can potentially recover damages covering current and future medical bills, loss of wages, and pain and suffering caused by the fall. Protect your legal rights by avoiding these costly mistakes:
- Leaving the scene without acquiring evidence. Gather the contact info of witnesses and take photos of the conditions at the scene before seeing a doctor. Evidence can also include your own personal items—like if your glasses were damaged in the fall or your clothes were stained by blood.
- Forgetting to notify management. Before leaving, always provide the facts of the accident to management or the property owner. Be sure not to include any commentary, however, as your words may be twisted to imply guilt.
- Refusing medical treatment. Always see a doctor after a fall. This is critical even if you don’t feel seriously hurt right after the accident. Traumatic brain injuries and other internal trauma aren’t always visible and symptoms may not appear immediately.
- Handling the situation on your own. One of the biggest mistakes after an injury is failing to seek the advice of an experienced slip and fall attorney. Whether you are trying to negotiate for a full and fair settlement from insurance or need to take the at-fault party to court, an attorney is essential to a positive outcome.
- Providing a recorded statement to insurance. Only provide the basic facts of when and where the accident occurred when you talk to your provider. Decline to give a recorded statement. While insurance can be an important resource for recovering compensation after an injury, adjusters are specifically employed to find ways to reduce or deny your claim.
- Waiting to file a lawsuit. Pennsylvania has a statute of limitations that can interfere with your ability to recover damages. Talk to your lawyer to find out if you need to file a lawsuit while negotiating with insurance to avoid problems with the limited timetable.
Talk to a Skilled Personal Injury Attorney Today
Were you hurt in a slip and fall and can’t work while recovering? Tell us about your accident and schedule a consultation so we can find the best way to help you move forward while holding the negligent party responsible.