Slip and fall incidents can happen even in fair weather, but they are significantly more likely on days when wintry precipitation covers the sidewalks and roads in Bucks County. It is not uncommon for these accidents to result in serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Sprains/Broken Bones
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Given how devastating slips and falls can be, it is crucial to take preventative measures against these accidents on your property. Here are a few tips our Bucks County slip and fall lawyer recommends putting into practice at your home or business:
- Invest in a high-quality snow shovel – Heavy snow accumulation is nothing out of the ordinary here in Bucks County. To ensure that you’re ready to efficiently clear snow from your property after a storm, you should purchase a sturdy shovel and store it in a place that’s easy to access.
- Be mindful of how you pile snow – When shoveling, be careful not to stack snow in a way that could create danger for those walking in the area. Place snow as far from walkways as possible, and try not to leave any patches of snow or ice. Furthermore, avoid creating high snow piles so as not to obstruct the view of pedestrians and drivers.
- If you can’t shovel your property, make sure someone else does – Even if you’re not around, you can still be held liable in some cases if someone slips and falls on snow/ice on a property that you own. Thus, if you’re unable to clear snow at your home or business in a timely manner after a winter storm, it’s important to have a contractor or someone you trust do it for you.
- Repair uneven patches in stairs/sidewalks ASAP – Winter weather can take a toll on concrete walkways and stairs, often leaving them with cracked or uneven portions. These common winter walkway blemishes can pose a major hazard for pedestrians, especially when they’re hidden by precipitation. To mitigate this risk, our slip and fall lawyer in Bucks County urges you to deal with walkway cracks right away.
- Prioritize safety in your entryway – Placing an absorbent rug at the entrance of your home or business will encourage visitors to wipe their feet, thus preventing wet and slippery floors. If you own a business, you should also place caution signs inside the doors and ensure that any melted snow gets wiped up in a timely fashion.
Taking the time to complete these steps is well worth it to prevent mishaps on your property during the snowy season. For more accident prevention advice from our slip and fall attorney in Bucks County, click over to our recent post on winter home safety.
Gary Heslin Skillfully Handles Winter Slip and Fall Accident Cases
Like any other kind of accident, slip and fall incidents can unfortunately still happen even if steps are taken to prevent them. In the event that you are hurt in a slip and fall accident, knowledgeable Bucks County slip and fall lawyer Gary Heslin can help you determine whether another party can be held responsible for your injuries under PA law. If he finds that you have a case, he will then assist you in seeking compensation for pain, suffering, lost wages and other damages caused by your accident.
If you are in need of assistance from a slip and fall lawyer Bucks County citizens can rely on, contact the Heslin Law Firm today at (215) 332-0300. Mr. Heslin is here to discuss your accident in a free case evaluation should you require his legal expertise, this season or anytime.