six coverages of a auto policyTo understand your auto insurance policy, it’s important to know what each type of coverage does. We explain the six most common kinds of coverage below:
  • Bodily Injury Liability. This pays the medical and other expenses of those people with a personal injury or who have been killed in auto accidents you cause. This is required by most states. The minimum amount the law requires you to purchase in Pennsylvania is $15,000 per individual and $30,000 per incident. It is typically written as 15/30.
  • Property Damage Liability. This covers the damage your car causes to property. Usually, that’s the other car or cars involved in the accident, but it also covers damage you do to any object you hit, including garages, buildings, lampposts, and fences. This is also required in most states. Pennsylvania requires at least $5,000 in coverage.
  • Collision. This is for damage done to your car when it collides with other vehicles or other objects, with both incidents being your fault. This type is optional in Pennsylvania.
  • Comprehensive. This covers damage to your car resulting from something other than a collision with another vehicle. For example, damage caused by vandals, a wind-blown tree hitting your car, and theft. This type is optional in Pennsylvania.
  • Medical Payments/Personal Injury Protection. This pays medical bills and funeral expenses for you as well as members of your family and passengers in your car if they are involved in a collision, regardless of who caused the accident. It also covers you as a pedestrian if a vehicle hits you. A minimum of $5,000 of coverage is required in Pennsylvania.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist. This pays for personal injuries to you and, in some policies, damage to your car, if you are hit by a driver who doesn’t have insurance or by someone who doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your losses. In most states, more than 10% of motorists don’t have any insurance. In some states, as many as three out of 10 drivers don’t have coverage. This type is optional in Pennsylvania.​ Many of those who do have insurance don’t have enough to cover the damages and injuries that would result in a major auto accident and personal injury. If you don’t have this coverage, which is often referred to as UM/UIM, you are taking a risk. UM/UIM also provides coverage for any personal injuries you suffer if you are hit while walking or riding a bicycle by a driver with inadequate or no insurance.

If you have been hurt in an accident and have a personal injury, it’s important to call a Philadelphia accident lawyer from The Heslin Law Firm. You can call our office at 215-332-0300. Our main office is located in Northeast Philadelphia and we have three other locations throughout Philadelphia and surrounding counties. Call 215-332-0300.

Post A Comment