We recommend following these steps after a Philadelphia motorcycle accident:
- Never leave the scene of the accident without taking down as much information as possible. Even if the collision is very minor and both parties agree that it is okay, you should take down the other driver’s information as a safety precaution. You never know if there is damage to your vehicle that will need to be addressed at a later date.
- Immediately after the accident you should assess the damage caused by the collision. Even if it doesn’t appear as if you or the other driver has been seriously injured you should still seek medical attention. If there is any sort of internal personal injury it is imperative to get the proper medical attention.
- While at the scene of the motorcycle collision, never admit blame or apologize for the damage, even if you believe that the accident was your fault. Any statement you make at the scene of the accident can eventually be used against you when you are attempting to file a claim for financial compensation. Politely exchange information and go through the necessary motions.
- Contact the Philadelphia Police Department that is closest to the scene of the motorcycle accident in order to file a collision report. This will become very beneficial later on when you need to present your case.
- Once everything is okay and both you and the other driver are in a safe area off to the side of the road, ask the other driver politely for their personal information. This includes their contact information, car registration, and insurance documentation. If there are any witnesses at the scene you should take down their contact information as well. Witnesses are vital in determining liability.
- It is also very beneficial to take pictures of both vehicles and the scene of the motorcycle accident (street signs, the condition of the road, or street lights) with a camera phone. Having pictures will not only help you remember every detail of the incident but it will also come in handy when you are telling your side of the story.
By following these vital steps, you will increase your chance of successfully getting the amount of financial compensation that you deserve in order to pay your medical bills and repair your motorcycle. Before accepting an initial offer from an insurance agency, we encourage you to consult an experienced Philadelphia motorcycle accident lawyer. You deserve to hear the facts from an attorney who will fight for your case and ensure that you get proper compensation.