Despite recent efforts to improve pedestrian safety in Philadelphia, the number of pedestrians hit by vehicles in the city remains extremely high at more than 1,700 per year. Clearly, this is a major issue that the citizens, government and road planners of Philadelphia need to work together to solve. Part of the solution is for those traveling on foot to follow these safety tips when navigating the city streets:
- Always cross the street at marked crosswalks or intersections if possible. Be sure to look left, right and left again for cars and other obstacles before stepping onto the road.
- Never assume that someone is going to stop just because they have a red light or a stop sign. Make direct eye contact with the driver to ensure that he/she sees you and is going to stop before you walk in front of the vehicle. Be especially cautious if you notice that the driver is using a cell phone.
- When crossing a street with multiple lanes, wait until all lanes are clear before walking into the road. Waiting between lanes or on a median to cross additional lanes is extremely dangerous.
- Stay alert while walking across streets. Don’t wear headphones or use your cell phone, as these activities impede on your ability to hear/see when cars are approaching unexpectedly and react accordingly.
- Avoid walking around while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. These substances impair your judgment and slow your reaction time, thereby heightening your chance of being struck by a vehicle while traveling on foot. Make the smart choice and take a cab or have someone who is sober drive you to your destination.
In addition to following these guidelines from our Philadelphia pedestrian injury attorney, it’s also helpful to be aware of the intersections where the most pedestrian accidents occur. You can find a map of these intersections along with descriptions of what makes each one so treacherous on the PlanPhilly website.
Need a Pedestrian Injury Lawyer in Philadelphia? Trust Us!
Even if you’re the star example of a safe pedestrian, it’s unfortunately still possible to be hit by a motor vehicle. If this has happened to you, call on the Heslin Law Firm for assistance with your case. For more than 30 years, we’ve been known as the pedestrian injury attorney Philadelphia residents can rely on due to our legal prowess and deep concern for the wellbeing of our clients.
To schedule a free consultation with our Philadelphia pedestrian injury lawyer, call (215) 332-0300 or fill out our web form. While you’re at it, be sure to check out our recent post on fall sports safety. We hope you’ve learned something useful by reading this blog!