A few years ago, TIME Magazine compiled a list of the most deadly intersections in the United States. Unfortunately for residents of Bucks County, statistics showed that the #1 most dangerous intersection lies in Bensalem, PA, at the crossing of Knights Road and Street Road.
So what makes this intersection so treacherous, you ask? According to a 2008 traffic audit, the spot suffers from the following issues:
- Dim lighting
- Discontinuous sidewalks
- Frequent jaywalking
- Bad signage
- Aggressive driving
- A unique shape that tends to confuse drivers
As a result of these roadway hazards, 144 vehicular crashes occurred in or near the intersection in the two years prior to the traffic audit. What’s worse, the report showed that 170 people were injured or killed in these 144 accidents.
Tips for Safely Navigating Intersections
In order to help you avoid costly car accidents at hard-to-handle intersections such as the one we’ve just discussed, our Bucks County car crash attorney would like to provide a few intersection safety tips:
- Leave a good amount of space between you and the vehicle in front of you when approaching an intersection. This way, you’ll have room to stop in case the person you’re following has to slam on the brakes when pulling out.
- Remember that stop signs and traffic lights shouldn’t be used as opportunities to look at your phone or GPS. If you need to do so, pull over in a safe spot away from traffic.
- Never change lanes while you’re in the middle of an intersection. Instead, do so after you’re out of the intersection and onto a straight stretch of road with clear visibility.
- If you encounter a traffic signal that isn’t working, treat it as a four-way stop sign.
- When turning right at a stop sign, you’ll of course need to check that no one is coming from the left. However, you should also look to your right before turning to ensure that there are no stopped vehicles or other obstacles in your path.
- Once you’ve checked that the intersection is clear of other vehicles, look closely in all directions for pedestrians crossing the street. Also be aware of bicyclists going straight through the intersection.
By following these suggestions, you’ll greatly reduce your risk of being involved in a collision at an intersection.
Intersection Accident? Contact the Car Crash Lawyer Bucks County Trusts
Even when you drive cautiously at intersections, there’s always a chance that someone else won’t. That’s why the Heslin Law Firm exists as a car crash attorney in Bucks County. When you choose us to handle your case, we’ll perform a thorough investigation into the accident to determine what went wrong and who is at fault. Then, we’ll work diligently to secure any compensation owed by the responsible party for pain, suffering, and other losses.
Ready to get the process started? Call 215-332-0300 or visit us on the web today. And for advice on preventing construction accidents, be sure to check out our latest blog post. Thanks for reading and considering us as your Bucks County car crash lawyer!